Friday, November 26, 2010

Thanksgiving and The Black Keys

Three Thanksgivings down and one to go.

Yesterday wasn't bad as far as Thanksgiving double headers go.  The morning went by quickly.  I was engrossed in Donald Westlake's The Ax and making corn pudding according to Carrie's instructions.  Good think I didn't defy her and start making the thing at 10 because it took about twice as long as the recipe specified.  I'm chalking it up to either the double batch factor or my oven being about thirty five years old.  It was a photo finish to get it done before we left for my grandparents' house.

The crowd at the gp's seemed a little light but still fairly crowded.  As with all holidays, I'm glad Grandpa had the foresight to build an adequately large house when they moved in '77.  It was a good time.  My cousins' kids were running amok and provided ample entertainment, as did all five of my aunts not believing I could cook.  We took off about 3:30 in an effort to evade enough of the winter weather not to get stranded while trying to cross the four creeks on the way back to the main road.

Part two of the Thanksgiving double headers was at Carrie's parents'.  It took longer than I would have liked to get there due to the winter weather preventing me from using the old O to 32 shortcut, which normally shaves 15 minutes off the trip.  It was a good time but our eating was restrained due to gorging ourselves a little over four hours before.  We also got to hear graphic details from her dad's stint on jury duty.  FYI, I never want to be on the jury during an alleged rape trial, if only to never hear the written statements.

Tomorrow is it.  We're heading over to my parents' for a lunch of pork sausage and mashed potatoes.  I'll get to bring Belle, which is a blessing considering how many times she woke me up this morning wanting to go for walks.  The hound needs her exercise in the worst way.  Hard to believe she's eleven now.

In other news, I got three Black Keys albums in the mail today.  So far, The Rubber Factory is my favorite.  It's a shame people are more concerned with reality show winners than they are blues rock or the Black Keys would be household names by now.

No comments:

Post a Comment