Monday, August 29, 2011

A Case of the Mondays

I always drag on Mondays but today has felt like an eternity.  I couldn't sleep last night due to a "15 minute nap" that turned into a 90 minute coma.  It threw off the rest of the evening and it took me forever to go to sleep.  My boss is on jury duty today so the project I'm working on hasn't gone anywhere.

As I've mentioned in the past, I've been re-reading the Dark Tower series the past six months.  The final volume was suppose to start September 1st but I started it Saturday.  People on Goodreads were reviewing Song of Susannah and I couldn't wait anymore.

When the last Dark Tower book was finally published in 2004, I took a Friday off work to make sure I'd have plenty of time to read that first weekend.  I don't remember how many days it took to read through the 800+ pages but I know I tore through it.  The re-read has almost been like a completely new book.  Except...

...Well, there's no real way to sugar coat this.  For people who haven't read the Dark Tower, I'm going to leave out the names but I cried at three deaths the first time through.  As of last night, I was halfway through.  Since I knew what was coming, you'd think I'd be able to brace myself for the deaths of two of my favorite characters.  Nope.  There were silent man tears.  I think it was actually worse this time since I knew what was going to happen.  I don't imagine the other death isn't going to have the same effect. 

So much has changed since 2004 when I last finished this book.  People have passed through my life and some have passed on altogether.  To the clearing at the end of the path, as Roland would say.  A lot happens in seven years.

I brought a different book to work today to read at lunch.  The official reason is because a big honkin' 800 page hardcover is too big to lug around. 

No comments:

Post a Comment