Thursday, August 4, 2011

Camp NaNoWriMo - Day 4

I don't want to brag but I got the best night sleep last night I've had in almost three months.  My dog didn't wake me up to investigate nocturnal shenanigans in the back yard and I woke up exactly once, just long enough to glance at the clock.  It was delightful.

This morning on the way to work, I decided that I'll use Sister Mary Hatchet arriving at Marder Lake to introduce other campers.  It seems like the least ham-fisted way to bring in more characters.  So, I have until I sit down in front of the computer tonight to come up with some.  Don't tell anyone but I may be swiping them from fragments I have lying around.  There's an inquisitive five year old name Brian that I used to work into all my stuff years ago.  No idea why he'd still be five after seven years but whatever.  He probably won't get chainsawed but you never know.

As I've mentioned before, I write down my word goals on my calendar at work, both what I would need to hit 50k by the end of the month and 75k, if I'm feeling ambitious.  In order to save time, I did both months at the same time, both to get it done and to guilt myself into doing August if my resolve waivered.  Apparently I messed up my numbers at some point when calculating in July because I copied the mistake into August.  I knew something was wrong when I noticed the 4200 word jump between days 3 and 4.

One of the blogs I read on a regular basis,  Published in a Year, has been doing entries on organization and notebooks and similar writerly tools lately.  I'm tempted to take a picture of my writing area at home, including my chaotic drawer full of cryptic notes written on post-its, my bulletin board that's had the same notes on it for years, and my various writing notepads and notebooks.

1 comment: