Monday, August 15, 2011

Camp NaNoWriMo - Day 15

The intertia of not writing is already threatening to take hold.  I think attempting two 50k months back to back is wearing me out.  I intend to turn things around this evening, however.

I've been looking over my notes for The Long Green Goodbye and it seems doable.  Now I just have to summon the will to work on it when I get home from work.

I did a marathon read of The Magician King yesterday.  It was really good but I didn't like it quite as much as The Magicians and it was obviously meant to be the middle book in a trilogy.  I was about fifty pages from the end and starting thinking "How the hell is he going to wrap this up?"  Turns out, he wasn't.  The waiting begins anew.

The next book I'm reading is The Wazir and the Witch, the seventh book in Hugh Cook's Chronicles of an Age of Darkness.  If there was any justice in the world, Hugh Cook would have been a billionaire when he died a few years.  The Chronicles aren't like most fantasy series.  They can be read in any order without a problem and are peppered with dry British humor.

The first five book all take place around the same time and with the same events in the background, and can be read in any order.  The sixth and seventh books are written from the point of view of a historian and detail the politics of the island of Untunchilamon, an island with bizarre machinery in underground caverns and a godlike being known as The Hermit Crab living on an island in the harbor.  The Hermit Crab, while both a hermit and a gigantic crab, is not actually a gigantic hermit crab.  Just thought I'd point that out.

1 comment:

  1. Hehehe, very important distinction between a hermit who is a crab and a hermit crab!

    ReplyDelete