Monday, October 25, 2010

7

Including today, there are only seven more days until NaNoWriMo starts.  The following thoughts are going through my mind as we approach liftoff.
  • What if I can't find the time to write every day?
  • What if my story craps out somewhere in the middle?
  • What if it doesn't crap out but I run out of steam before the end?
It's times like these I wish I hadn't deleted my MySpace account.  I had valuable NaNoWriMo info in some of those 1100 blog entries.  I'm quite sure I've gone through these same doubts the previous two years.

Another thing that's occupying my mind as we approach go time is trying to maintain a tone that I'm comfortable with.  While I want to work some humor into the dialogue, much like Jack Vance and Hugh Cook, I also want to keep things from becoming too silly.  Every time I picture Fenlock in the marketplace trying to swindle people it quickly becomes the Monty Python sketch where the guy goes to the office and pays to argue with John Cleese.  I guess I could always balance out the humor with some frightening things.  Spiders lend themselves to horror so well.

4 comments:

  1. ooooh! Especially if they're, like, spiders on people's FACES! Now there's horror

    OOH! or check this out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got spiders in every shape and size, from normal house spiders to ones five miles across with cities on their backs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm new here *waves* from my dear, badass friend Sarah's blog (above). Nice to meet you.

    I assume you've Buddied her on nano (a group of us all buddy up for Nano), you can buddy me there, if you like, at: the-sharp-pen

    Good luck!
    Lola

    ReplyDelete
  4. Done. I'm akaGunslinger on the nano forums.

    ReplyDelete