Friday, September 10, 2010

It's Always Something

So I got home today and noticed the air conditioner sounded funny and not funny ha-ha.  More funny strange.  It was running but no air was coming through the vents.  After a few experiments and some googling, I determined that the compressor was locked up.  As much as I'd like to go off on a "poor me" rant, that's what I get for buying my parents' house from them.  Lots of the stuff is 20-30 years old and overdue for breaking.  Looks like I'll be calling the AC guys on Monday.  Good thing 82 is the hottest it's supposed to get this week.  Hopefully they'll be able to get to it early in the week.

In my endless endeavor to score free books, I've been entering Goodreads giveaways.  I must confess I have no idea how one gets selected.  I know people who've had less than 100 books on their shelves that have won multiple times.  I've entered quite a few of the drawings.  With my luck, I'll probably win something I'm only marginally interested in and the author will hound me for a review. 

I think I've got the bones of my story ready for National Novel Writing Month.  I know the beginning, some of the characters, the ending, and the fact that I love the idea of a city built on the back of a giant spider.  I plan on having a fairly fleshed-out outline by the time November 1st hits.

One thing I dislike about NaNoWriMo is that I don't have much time for reading and sure don't have time to read anything that requires a lot of thought.  I think I'll be plowing through short story collections for the duration.  I have a monster book of pulp noir that's been on my shelf for a couple years now, as well as some Harold Lamb and P.G. Wodehouse that need reading.

I have to get up bright and early tomorrow to get my wheels aligned and new shocks and struts.  Did I mention I had to get new tires last Saturday?  I'd better bring something along to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment