Monday, June 11, 2012

Camp NaNoWriMo - Day 11

I had an insight while I was cursing at the keyboard earlier. 

When I started Between Hell and a Hard Place, I intended it to be little more than a modern era homage to The Big Sleep.  It's already morphed into something else.  While it's still a kick ass detective yarn, it's actually a story about family, specifically the black sheep.  It's about Jack's place in the Whitlock family and Amber's place in the Brissette family.  Funny how a story that was supposed to be about wise ass remarks and people getting hit over the head wound up with a theme.

The writing is flowing smoothly but is going to be an uphill climb for the foreseeable future.  I am undaunted, however, and pretty damn sure I'll be caught up by the 18th.  I thought of two red herrings I'm going to use as far as suspects go, which will give my story a much needed edge.  Plus, tracking down Amber's natural father and the guy she had a restraining order against should give the story some legs.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad that you'll be caught up. You can do it! Have a s'more and keep writing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's very cool, Dan! I think your original idea was solid, but maybe it's even better that your book is becoming its own thing.

    ReplyDelete