Sunday, March 13, 2011

Sunday Scramble

I hate the time change and don't see why we don't do away with it.

Belle must have eaten something in the woods yesterday because I had to take her out three times between 11 and 4 this morning.  Needless to say, I might be more irritable than usual today.  Since I lost so much time to late night dog maintenance, I was only able to get out in the yard at 10 instead of 8:30.  I picked up sticks and leaves while belting out tunes by The Slackers until a few minutes ago.  It's too wet to burn anything so I guess I'm done earlier than expected.

I didn't mention it sooner but I was contemplating Scrabble retirement.  Carrie and I have been playing almost nightly for the past week and a half.  Friday she trounced me by 111 points AND broke the 300 point barrier.  It was a demoralizing defeat and a sabbatical from Scrabble loomed on the horizon.  Luckily I beat her two games to one last night.  None were a trouncing but I've postponed the Scrabble retirement until further notice.

While working in the yard, I was thinking about writing, both past and future, when I discovered why I like some of my stories more than others.  It seems that sometimes I have a plot and try to come up with characters to stick into it rather than coming up with the characters first.  My favorites are all more character-oriented than plot-oriented.  I guess that's something I'll have to keep in mind in the future.

I guess I should at least attempt to be productive.  In the mean time, here are some Slackers tunes for you listening pleasure.





2 comments:

  1. That's a pretty good observation, I think. I'm more character oriented too. In fact, I'm in the process of writing a whole new story for a character I fell in love with who had to kindly inform me the previous plot I tried to shove him in wasn't working for either of us.

    The good thing about plots, they never talk back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trying to shoe-horn characters into a plot is probably why my NaNoWriMo book kept stalling. I have a lot more luck when I have characters I'm interested in and a vague idea where the story should go.

    ReplyDelete