Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Musical Nostalgia - The Mighty Mighty Bosstones

It was the Christmas of 1994 and I'd just opened my first CD player.  My mind was ablaze with possibilities of what I'd get.  After the influx of Nirvana and Beastie Boys CDs, my neighbor gave me Skacore, The Devil, and More.  From there, I was hooked on the Mighty Mighty Bosstones.

I'm not going to pretend they were my favorite band right away.  It took a few months but I eventually picked up Don't Know How to Party, and this album, the subject of today's blog entry.


Yep.  It's Question The Answers.  Most people know them from Let's Face It.  I don't want to be one of those guys who says things like "I liked them before they were famous" or "Their old stuff is better" in a condescending tone.  But I did like them before they were famous and their older stuff is better.

Like I said with The Slackers' album The Question a couple weeks ago, this is another of those albums that's filled to the brim with memories for me.  Let's go down the list of why this is one of the CDs I never thought of parting with.
  1. The Nostalgia Factor - I can't heart a single note of a song on this disk without thinking back to the mythical summers between years of highschool and shooting endless games of pool with my friends in my parents' basement, including the now legendary Best 11 out of 21 with Steve Roberts.  I won 11-9 but it was pretty hectic.
  2. Playability - This is one of those cds where I don't feel tempted to skip songs.  Look at this track listing (Toxic Toast, 365 Days, and Jump Through the Hoops being my favorites):
    1. Kinder Words
    2. A Sad Silence
    3. Hell Of A Hat
    4. Pictures To Prove It
    5. We Should Talk
    6. A Dollar And A Dream
    7. Stand Off
    8. 365 Days
    9. Toxic Toast
    10. Bronzing The Garbage
    11. Dogs And Chaplains
    12. Jump Through The Hoops
  3. It was when the ska really started to take hold of my musical tastes.  It's weird to think I've been into ska for over half of my life at this point.  I lost sight of the Bosstones when The Slackers, The Skatelites, and other ska bands eclipsed them in my esteem but they're still part of my past.
That's about it.  I play on digging this one out when I get home.

No comments:

Post a Comment