Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Struck by Ideas

It's funny how sometimes a fully formed plot will spring to life in your head.  Such a thing happened to me yesterday on the way to work. 

Actually, the genesis was probably the day before.  I went to a picnic and had a few beers with one of my few writer friends in meatspace.  He mentioned wanting to put together a pulp fantasy anthology and asked if I'd be willing to contribute.  I said it sounded like fun but don't really write fantasy anymore.  He suggested I dust off Jhalen and Tolek, the lead characters from my NaNoWriMo 2009 novel, Sailors on the Sea of Dead Gods.  I said I'd think about it.

Ideas started congealing on the way to work yesterday morning.  Fast forward to bedtime last night and I'm 2200 words in with probably another 2000 to go.  It's not my favorite thing I've ever written but it's a lot of fun.  I'm actually thinking about submitting it to a magazine instead of saving it for an anthology that might not happen.

In other writing news, I still feel underprepared for Camp NaNoWriMo in June.  I keep writing down ideas for Between Hell and a Hard Place as they come to me.  I have the beginning and the end pretty clear in my mind.  It's the middle that's worrisome, like having two slices of bread and not being sure what to put between them.

2 comments:

  1. I'm not doing Camp NaNo, but I'll still be writing 50k during June, or that's the plan (it's for BuNo instead).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your 50k can be for two purposes!

    ReplyDelete