Monday, November 14, 2011

Thoughts from Day 14

The day goes by slowly when all you want to do is go home and write about meth dealers getting shot in the face.

Here are some thoughts I've had regarding NaNoWriMo, the Universe, and Everything:
  1. With the right idea, I think that if I took two weeks off of work and went someplace without internet access and other distractions, I could probably crank out 75k of something.  Facebook and actually having to go to work were big time wasters for me during the first two weeks of NaNoWriMo this year.
  2. If I treat writing like a job instead of like I hobby, I can actually get things done.  Amazing how that works.
  3. The more comfortable I am with a story, the less I hate it during the second week of NaNoWriMo and beyond.  It seems pretty obvious but it's taken me four NaNoWriMos to figure it out.  I'm not as quick on the uptake as I sometimes appear.
  4. Once I finish Bullets Don't Blink, I'm going to start editing Sweating Bullets, the Camp NaNoWriMo novel from July that I've been talking about editing for the past six months.
  5. The next thing I write is going to be humorous or at least humorous to me.  I keep thinking of jokes while I write Bullets Don't Blink that have no place in it.
  6. Under no circumstances will I attempt to write 100k in a single month.  Thank you, NaNoWriMo 2010 for that harsh lesson.
  7. Raymond Chandler's advice of sending a guy into the room with a gun whenever you get stuck works wonders in a crime novel.
That's all I have for now.  I'll be back with a progress report as well as a current beard status once I get some writing done this evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment