Wednesday, December 7, 2011

My Go-To Mood Elevating Read

I've been feeling crabby and directionless lately so I picked up a P.G. Wodehouse novel and started reading a couple days ago.  While I'm still somewhat crabby and directionless, I'm also working a lot of 1930's British slang into my regular routine.  The point is, I'd enjoy reading P.G. Wodehouse even if I was simultaneously hacksawing one of my own legs off.

I had originally planned to devote an entire blog entry to old Plum, as he was sometimes called, but I already did that last year.  Instead, I think I'll add a list of Wodehouse quotes and get back to work.

  • The voice of Love seemed to call to me, but it was a wrong number.
  • I could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled.

  • He had just about enough intelligence to open his mouth when he wanted to eat, but certainly no more.
  • At the age of eleven or thereabouts women acquire a poise and an ability to handle difficult situations which a man, if he is lucky, manages to achieve somewhere in the later seventies.
  • I pressed down the mental accelerator. The old lemon throbbed fiercely. I got an idea.
  • It is no use telling me there are bad aunts and good aunts. At the core, they are all alike. Sooner or later, out pops the cloven hoof.
  • Warm-hearted! I should think he has to wear asbestos vests!
  • A girl who bonnets a policeman with an ashcan full of bottles is obviously good wife-and-mother timber.
  • Intoxicated? The word did not express it by a mile. He was oiled, boiled, fried, plastered, whiffled, sozzled, and blotto.
  • He felt like a man who, chasing rainbows, has had one of them suddenly turn and bite him in the leg.
  • This was not Aunt Dehlia, my good and kindly aunt, but my Aunt Agatha, the one who chews broken bottles and kills rats with her teeth.

3 comments:

  1. I love this one: "At the age of eleven or thereabouts women acquire a poise and an ability to handle difficult situations which a man, if he is lucky, manages to achieve somewhere in the later seventies."

    I haven't read any of Wodehouse's stuff! Until reading this post, at least!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wodehouse wrote something crazy like 80-something books. They all have gems like the one you mentioned in it. There are some free Wodehouse books available on Guttenberg.org if you're interested.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the tip! I'll check it out.

    ReplyDelete