Monday, February 21, 2011

Post-Hyperion Funk

I finished the Hyperion Cantos by Dan Simmons yesterday. I haven't been so engaged by an epic since The Dark Tower ended. The Cantos are now one of my measuring stick works, the ones I judge subsequent books against. Now I'm having trouble getting interested in any of the books on my to-read pile. None of them feature The Shrike, The Ousters, or seven pilgrims traveling to the Tombs of Time.


In other news, a couple months ago I added a security question to my Goodreaeds profile to cut down on the riffraff, most of which are too lazy to type anything in the message field. My security question is "What is your favorite insect?" The answers haven't been very varied. The overwhelming answer is praying mantis. I'd say out of the twenty requests I've gotten since adding the security question, fourteen have been praying mantis. Others range from scarab beetle to dragonfly, although one answer was a Kafka reference and my favorite was "I'm too busy killing them to see what kind they are."

No comments:

Post a Comment