Wednesday, November 6, 2013

I have broken one of the NaNoWriMo Commandments!

I'm not sure which number it is but today, I broke one of the NaNoWriMo Commandments: Thou Shalt Not Revise.

Since the first day, a couple things were bothering me about the first chapter and I figured it out on the commute home.  In the old setup, Jonah's high school sweetheart shows up and asks him to find her missing cousin and then casually mentions no one has seen his mother in weeks.  It just didn't ring true to me.  On the way home, I decided that a bill collector tracks him down because his mother hasn't paid her bills in three months.  When he gets to his home town, he learns about the missing girls.

Well, two hours later and I'm back on track.  Due to writing some new material and recycling as much of the old material as I could, I only lost about two hundred words.  I'm feeling good despite spending this evenings writing time mending the space time continuum to accomodate these changes.

Back in the day, I used to post my in progress NaNoWriMo projects in the writing section of my Goodreads page.  I'm thinking about doing that again and taking them down in December.  The extra encouragement gives me a little more incentive to write.

No comments:

Post a Comment