Monday, September 9, 2013

Kinda sucked

So, right after we watched a Season 3 episode of Breaking Bad, Brittany prepared to leave for work and I prepared to take the dogs for a walk on what was probably the hottest day of the year.  We passed a house with a man working on the roof and I thought, "Man, it would suck to be working out in this heat."

The dogs performed admirably on the walk, due to the intense heat and humidity and also that they were still recovering from a Saturday romp at my parents'.  We returned to the house and the garage door was closed.  I thought "It would suck if Brittany locked us out."

Yadda yadda yadda, she did.  After checking the basement door, I walked to the one neighbor whom I thought might still have my back door key from the days when my parents owned the house.  She wasn't home.  I walked around the house, panting dogs in tow, and checked all the windows.  All locked.  And my cell phone was on the kitchen table, right next to my keys.

As I cursed and tried to decide which neighbor I'd impose on to call my dad.  Then I remembered I felt a draft next to one of the basement windows a couple days before.  I walked up to the unattached garage and it was blessedly unlocked.  I procured a screwdriver and walked back to the basement window, dogs still in tow.

After some amateur breaking and entering, I popped the screen out and slid the window open.  Daisy, still leery of me after living in my house for almost three months and knowing me for about a year, was surprisingly understanding.  I said "I know you're not going to like this but I'm going to pick you up now.  She didn't struggle and let me carry her into the darkness of the basement.

Belle, my faithful hound of nearly 13 years, was almost as understanding.  She stood at the open window and looked at me.  "Belle, this is our house.  I'm going to pick you up now."  She yielded but wasn't happy about it.  Soon, we were all navigating the Stygian darkness of the basement.  I don't think Belle quite understood where we were until we reached the basement steps.  Soon, we were again in the welcoming light of the main floor of the house and all was well with the world.  I gave the dogs treats and they were soon napping in front of the air conditioning vents on the living room floor.


No comments:

Post a Comment