Thursday, January 31, 2013

Winter is Coming

After watching the first season of Game of Thrones over the weekend, I caved in and picked up the first book.  It's safe to say that I'm hooked.  I finished reading A Game of Thrones at lunch and am hard at work composing the review in my head.  Even after watching the first season of the show, it still gripped me pretty hard.

It reminded me more of Pillars of the Earth more than a typical doorstop fantasy novel.  I read an interview where GRRM said he was a big fan of historical fiction.  That's what Game of Thrones felt like.  Only the history was fictitious.

Martin thanks Roger Zelazny in the acknowledgments.  I already knew he and Zelazny were close.  Now I'm wondering if the machinations in Game of Thrones were in any way inspired by the ones of the family in Amber.

Another reason I entitled this post Winter is Coming?  It's supposed to be 8 degrees tonight!

Oh, and I almost forgot.  I saw the hawk again today so I'm bringing my camera to work with me tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, can't believe you hadn't read any of it yet! ;) I have only read up to book 3 though, I think I was waiting for #4 and just never got back into it. The reason is I need a re-read!

    ReplyDelete