Wednesday, April 27, 2011

It's that time of year again

Yeah, it's getting to be the time of year again when I carry my camera and closeup lens with me every time I leave the house.  The honeysuckle that's infesting the wooded parts of my neighborhood is attracting numerous species of butterfly and bumblebees the size and approximate shape of Cadbury Creme Eggs.  That might be a slight exaggeration.  I took a few pictures last night but haven't had time to do anything with them yet.

May is going to be a busy month, like it is every year.  Mother's Day, Memorial Day, etc.  I'm thinking about taking the next two Fridays off.  I need to get my air conditioner looked at before it gets too hot and I've got some yardwork to do once my lawn goes from being a shallow inland sea to merely a swampy marsh.

I may have mentioned it before but I've had a rotten tree in my yard for three or four years now.  It's sheathed in an orangish-brown hairy fungus, as well as those white clamshell shaped mushrooms that grow on all dead trees.  After all the wind and rain over the weekend, guess which tree toppled over Saturday night?  Wrong!  It was the still-healthy tree right next to it.  It looked as if the roots had been rotting away despite the upper parts of the tree being in seemingly good health.  Luckily my neighbor was dying to escape the Easter preparation and we took care of it in ten minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment